Guidelines to Pass G1 License
Ontario’s Graduated Driver Licensing system has three levels (G1 G2 G license). Each license has specific restrictions designed to prepare drivers for the safe driving. You must complete the G1 and G2 license stages within five years otherwise you must start all over again.
What is a G1 license in Ontario?
In Ontario, the G1 class license is the beginner’s driver license or learner’s permit. The Canadian G1 license allows the driver to drive on roads with a supervising driver who has at least four years of driving experience
and whose BAC is less than 0.05. G1 is the first of three classes to complete the graduated licensing system. The other two classes are G2 and G.
How to apply for G1 license?
In Ontario, you can apply G1 license if you are at least 16 years old. As a new driver, you will need to practice driving and gain experience over time. For most people, the two-step process takes about 20 months to finish.
Here’s how you get a driver’s licence.
How to book G1 license test?
You can book your G1 license test by visiting a DriveTest centre near you. You can see a list of centres here: https://drivetest.ca/find-a-drive-test-centre/find_a_drivetest_centre.html#!/locations You can also search
“G1 license test near me” or “DriveTest near me” in Google search to find DriveTest centre near you.
G1 Drivers License Restrictions
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Once you receive your G1 license, it is important to understand the G1 drivers license requirements and restrictions that you must follow to keep your license. You should face a
license suspension and fines if you violate any G1 license restrictions.
Below are drivers license G1 restrictions that you must follow:
- Zero BAC – no exception. You can only drive when your blood alcohol level is zero.
- You need an accompanying driver who has a full G license with a minimum of four year’s driving experience sitting in the front passenger seat. The accompanying driver must have a BAC below 0.05% unless they are 21 years old or younger, then they must
have a zero-blood alcohol level.
- You are not allowed to drive between the hours of midnight to 5:00 AM.
- You must ensure that all the passengers are wearing seat belts and number of passengers cannot exceed the number of working seatbelts.
- You are not allowed to drive on any 400-series highways or high-speed expressways like QEW and the Gardiner Expressway unless your accompanying driver is a licensed Ontario driving instructor.
What happens if a G1 driver breaks Graduated Licensing rules?
- On your first conviction, your license will be suspended for 30 days
- On your second conviction, your license will be suspended for 90 days
- On your third conviction, you will lose your G1 license and you will have to start over again including taking all the
- tests again and paying all the associated fees again.
How many questions are on the G1 test?
The G1 test contains 40 multiple choice questions. This is broken into 2 sections that you will need to finish. The two sections are:
- Rules of the road (20 questions total and you must correctly answer at least 16 questions)
- Road signs (20 questions total and you must correctly answer at least 16 questions)
You need to earn at total score of at least 80% to pass the G1 knowledge test.
How to prepare for G1 test?
G1 license preparation is easy. All questions on the G1 test are from the office Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) driver’s handbook. You should read the G1 license handbook and practice drivers license G1 practice
tests on Trubicars website. They have exam like questions. You can find the samples here: https://trubicars.ca/g1-practice-tests/
How much is the drivers license G1 test?
The driving license G1 test costs $159.75. This G1 license cost covers your G1 knowledge exam and in-car driving assessment to get your G2 license.
Do I need an appointment to book G1 test?
No, you don’t need an appointment to book your G1 test however, depending on how busy it is, you may need to wait in line to take it. You should arrive early and give yourself good amount of time to write the exam without any pressure.
Where do I take the G1 license test?
You can take your official written G1 test at your local DriveTest centre. You don’t need an appointment to book your G1 test however, depending on how busy it is, you may need to wait in line to take it. To find
a DriveTest centre near you, you can search “G1 driving license test near me” or “DriveTest near me”.
Where can I get the G1 license book?
The official MTO driver’s handbook cost about $16 and you can get it from any DriveTest centre or Service Ontario centre. The G1 license book is also available online at https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook
Can you skip questions on the G1 test?
Yes, you can skip questions. The test consists of only 40 multiple choice questions, 20 signs and 20 rules, and you need to get at least 16 right in each section to pass the test.
Can you fail your G1 test in Ontario more than once?
There is no limit on the number of times you can try. For example, if you fail your G1 test, you can take it again but keep in mind you must pay the G1 license fees again for the test.
How long does a G1 license last?
The G 1 license is valid for 5 years.
How to move from G1 to G2 license?
You must pass G2 license test also called G1 to G2 road test. This road test can be taken after you have had your G1 license for 12 months. This can be fast-tracked to 8 months if you have taken an MTO approved
BDE course such as Trubicars.
G2 License Rules and G2 License Restrictions:
- Minimum age of 16 and a successful driving test.
- Your blood alcohol and THC levels must be zero.
- Seatbelts are required for the driver and all passengers.
- You are not required to have an accompanying driver.
- No additional restrictions apply to drivers age 20 or older, or those who are accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least 4 years’ driving experience.
- Unaccompanied drivers age 19 or under have these restrictions with the G2 license:
- For the first 6 months, you may not transport more than one other person aged 19 or under between midnight and 5 a.m.
- For the remainder of the year, you may carry up to 3 other people aged 19 or under between midnight and 5am.
- You must not take the test for your full G license until you have had your G2 license for 12 months.
If you are looking for a good source which help you to pass G1 in first attempt then you are in right place and feel free to contact us. One of our expert will guide you in detail that how to pass the G1 test.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for getting an Ontario G1 license?
Below are G1 license requirements:
- You must be at least 16 years old
- Pass an eye test
- Pass a written test about the rules and road signs
Can you take the G1 test online?Unfortunately, you cannot take the G1 drivers license test online. You are required to go into a DriveTest location to take your G1 test. However, G1 license online practice tests are available at Trubicars site: https://trubicars.ca/g1-practice-tests/
What are the hardest questions on G1 test?The G1 test includes questions on fines, demerit points, traffic violations, speed limits etc. The demerit point questions G1 test and demerit point rules G1 test are the most challenging questions. A lot of these numbers just need to be memorized.
Check Trubicars G1 license practice test questions to learn more: https://trubicars.ca/g1-practice-tests/
Can you buy car with G1 license?Buying a car with G1 license is possible but you will not be able to get a car insurance with G1 license under your name for driving until you get G2 license. The primary driver of the vehicle must have a valid G2 or G license.
Can G1 drivers get demerit points?Remember, driving a vehicle is a privilege, not a right. If you are convicted of breaking G1 rules and restrictions, you will receive demerit points on your G1 driver’s license. Depending on whether you are a novice or a fully licensed driver,
you will accumulate a different number of demerit points before receiving a penalty. For a G1 or G2 driver in Ontario, collecting six to eight demerit points could result in a license suspension. And at nine demerit points, you will receive
a 60-day license suspension. A conviction for breaking the G1 license rules under the graduated licensing system brings serious consequences under Ontario’s escalating penalties program:
- the first conviction brings a license suspension of 30 days;
- a second conviction brings a suspension of 90 days;
- a third conviction means the loss of the novice license. At that stage, you would have to start again from the beginning with the G1 test
How can I renew an expired G1 license?You cannot renew an expired G1 license. If your G1 expires, you must retake the vision and G1 knowledge test to get your G1 license again.
Can I drive alone with G1 license?No, driving with G1 license without any accompanying driver is not allowed. G1 license holder can drive with an accompanying driver who is holding a full Class G license and has 4 years of driving experience and sitting in the front passenger
Can G1 driver get G1 license insurance on their own?Not on their own. Parents or guardians can add a secondary G1 driver insurance on their auto insurance policy.
How much is the G1 license price?The G1 licnese price is $159.75. This price covers your G1 knowledge exam and in-car driving assessment to get your G2 licence.
Can I take the G1 license test online?You can only take the G1 license test at a DriveTest centre near you. Taking the test online is not an option at this time.
How many questions in official G1 license test?
There will be 40 G1 license test questions in total. The G1 test is divided into two sections:
- G1 road rule test (20 questions and you need to answer at least 16 correct questions)
- G1 road sign test (20 questions and you need to answer at least 16 correct questions)
ions on Trubicars website to prepare yourself to get a G1 license.